A bill (H.B. 562) to ban motor vehicle exhaust systems that increase the noise level above the level emitted by the originally installed system has been introduced in Vermont. Under the bill, violators would not pass the state’s required inspection. The bill does not provide an opportunity for vehicle hobbyists to install and use aftermarket modified exhaust systems that meet an objective 95-decibel limit under a fair and predictable test.
We Urge You to Contact House Transportation Committee Members (List Below) Immediately to Request Their Opposition to H.B. 562
- H.B. 562 does not supply inspectors with an enforcement standard, allowing them to make subjective judgments on whether an exhaust system increases “the noise emitted by the motor vehicle above the level emitted by the exhaust system as originally installed.”
- H.B. 562 fails to recognize that a better way to address this issue is by establishing a fair and reasonable exhaust noise decibel limit.
- H.B. 562 ignores the fact that aftermarket exhaust systems are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.
- H.B. 562 fails to recognize that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.
- H.B. 562 would make it difficult for hobbyists to replace factory exhaust systems with more durable, better performing options.
- H.B. 562 perpetuates the erroneous perception that enthusiasts who equip their vehicles with modified exhaust systems are involved in illegal street racing.
DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the Vermont House Transportation Committee immediately by phone or e-mail to request their opposition to H.B. 562. Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at email@example.com. Thank you for your assistance.
Vermont House Transportation Committee
Representative Patrick Brennan (Chair)
Phone: (802) 863-3773
Representative Dave Potter (Vice Chair)
Phone: (802) 438-5385
Representative Timothy Corcoran (Ranking Member)
Phone: (802) 447-0929
Representative William N. Aswad
Phone: (802) 862-2067
Representative Clem Bissonnette
Phone: (802) 655-9527
Representative Charles W. Bohi
Phone: (802) 295-5596
Representative Mollie S. Burke
Phone: (802) 257-4844
Representative Gale Courcelle (Clerk)
Phone: (802) 775-0262
Representative Adam B. Howard
Phone: (802) 644-2040
Representative Diane Lanpher
Phone: (802) 877-2230
Representative Janice L. Peaslee
Phone: (802) 328-4452