Oklahoma Reintroduces Bill to Create Titling for HUMVEES
DON’T DELAY! Please contact the House Committee on Public Safety to request support for H.B. 1136:
You may use the following points in your message:
- H.B. 1136 allows for the titling of HUMVEES.
- H.B. 1136 defines a “High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle” or “HMMWV” as a four-wheel drive tactical military vehicle that can carry a wide variety of military hardware, a vehicle more commonly known as a HUMVEE.
- H.B. 1136 recognizes the important historical and patriotic purpose of these vehicles.
- H.B. 1136 acknowledges the fact that government surplus (former military) vehicles are becoming valued collectors’ items among the automotive community.
- H.B. 1136 would bring the state in line with others that are moving to allow former military vehicles similar accommodations as those available to civilian vehicles.
Overview: SAN-supported legislation (H.B. 1136) has been introduced in Oklahoma to allow the titling of surplus (former military) HUMVEES (High-Mobility Multipurpose Vehicles or HMMWV). The bill would restrict these vehicles from traveling on Interstate Highways. Under current Oklahoma law, HMMWV vehicles are not able to be titled in the state. A similar proposal failed to be passed during the previous legislative session. This bill currently awaits consideration in the House Committee on Public Safety.