SEMA model legislation (S.F. 2079) that would allow Iowa’s vehicle hobbyists to install and use aftermarket modified exhaust systems that meet a 95-decibel limit was introduced in the Iowa State Senate by Senator Jeff Danielson (email@example.com). A subcommittee of the Senate Transportation Committee will consider the bill on Wed., Feb. 15, 2012.
Please Contact Members of the Senate Transportation Subcommittee (List Below) to Request Their Support for S.F. 2079
- S.F. 2079 would remove subjective provisions in the law and force compliance with an objectively measured standard. Under the standard, exhaust noise could not exceed a sound reading of 95-decibels under a fair and predictable test.
- S.F. 2079 would benefit consumers, the aftermarket industry and police officers who are charged with enforcing the law.
- S.F. 2079 would remedy the enforcement policy currently used by police officers in which nearly all exhaust system modifications are considered illegal, even where noise levels are not excessive or unusual. This policy leaves enthusiasts, exhaust system manufacturers and dealers without recourse.
- S.F. 2079 recognizes that aftermarket exhaust systems are more durable, are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions and offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.
- S.F. 2079 challenges the erroneous assumption that enthusiasts who equip their vehicles with modified exhaust systems are involved in illegal street racing.
DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the Iowa Senate Transportation Subcommittee immediately by phone or e-mail to urge their support for S.F. 2079. Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.
Iowa Senate Transportation Subcommittee
To e-mail all members of the subcommittee, copy and paste the email address block below:
Senator Jeff Danielson
Senator Tom Hancock
Senator Brad Zaun