Legislation (H.B. 2127) that would allow West Virginia’s vehicle hobbyists to install and use aftermarket modified exhaust systems that meet a 95-decibel limit was reintroduced in the West Virginia State Legislature by Delegate Gary Howell (firstname.lastname@example.org). Current West Virginia law only allows a muffler originally installed by the manufacturer or an equivalent.
Contact members of the West Virginia House Roads and Transportation Committee (List Below) to request their support for H.B. 2127
- H.B. 2127 would remove subjective provisions in the law and force compliance with an objectively measured standard. Under the standard, exhaust noise could not exceed a sound reading of 95-decibels under a fair and predictable test.
- H.B. 2127 would benefit consumers, the aftermarket industry and police officers who are charged with enforcing the law.
- H.B. 2127 would remedy the enforcement policy currently used by police officers in which nearly all exhaust system modifications are considered illegal, even where noise levels are not excessive or unusual. This policy leaves enthusiasts, exhaust system manufacturers and dealers without recourse.
- H.B. 2127 recognizes that aftermarket exhaust systems are more durable, are designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions and offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.
- H.B. 2127 challenges the erroneous assumption that enthusiasts who equip their vehicles with modified exhaust systems are involved in illegal street racing.
DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the House Roads and Transportation Committee immediately by phone or e-mail to urge their support for H.B. 2127. Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at email@example.com. Thank you for your assistance.
West Virginia House Roads and Transportation Committee
To e-mail all Committee members, copy and paste the email address block below:
firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org