Legislation (H.B. 2456) that would allow West Virginia’s vehicle hobbyists to install and use aftermarket modified exhaust systems that meet a 95-decibel limit was introduced in the West Virginia State Legislature by Delegate Gary Howell. Current West Virginia law only allows a muffler originally installed by the manufacturer or an equivalent.
Contact members of the West Virginia House Roads and Transportation Committee (List Below) to request their support for H.B. 2456.
- H.B. 2456 would remove subjective provisions in the law and force compliance with an objectively measured standard. Under the standard, exhaust noise could not exceed a sound reading of 95-decibels under a fair and predictable test.
- H.B. 2456 would benefit consumers, the aftermarket industry and police officers who are charged with enforcing the law.
- H.B. 2456 would remedy the enforcement policy currently used by police officers in which nearly all exhaust system modifications are considered illegal, even where noise levels are not excessive or unusual. This policy leaves enthusiasts, exhaust system manufacturers and dealers without recourse.
- H.B. 2456 recognizes that aftermarket exhaust systems are more durable and designed to make vehicles run more efficiently without increasing emissions.
- H.B. 2456 recognizes that aftermarket exhaust systems offer increased performance, which can make a vehicle safer by improving its ability to merge, pass, travel uphill, etc.
- H.B. 2456 challenges the erroneous assumption that enthusiasts who equip their vehicles with modified exhaust systems are involved in illegal street racing.
DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the House Roads and Transportation Committee immediately by phone or e-mail to urge their support for A.B. 2456.
Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at email@example.com. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.
West Virginia House Roads and Transportation Committee
Delegate Dale Martin – Chair
Delegate Margaret Anne Staggers - Vice-Chair
Delegate Daryl Cowles - Minority Chair
Delegate Allen Evans - Minority Vice-Chair
Delegate Larry W. Barker
Delegate Brent Boggs
Delegate Greg Butcher
Delegate Thomas Campbell
Delegate Gerald L. Crosier
Delegate Joe Elington
Delegate Marty Gearheart
Delegate Daniel J. Hall
Delegate Gary Howell
Delegate K. Steven Kominar
Delegate Harold Michael
Delegate Eric Nelson
Delegate Amanda Pasdon
Delegate Brian Savilla
Delegate Doug Skaff
Delegate Margaret Donaldson Smith
Delegate Rick Snuffer
Delegate Dale Stephens
Delegate Josh Stowers
Delegate David Walker
Delegate Danny Wells