UPDATE: Pennsylvania Legislation to Allow Motorsports to Resume Passes Committee; Moves to House Floor
DON’T DELAY! Please contact the members of the Pennsylvania House immediately and request their support for H.B. 2489:
You may use the following points in your message:
- H.B. 2489 would allow outdoor recreational activities, including professional and amateur motor sports, to resume immediately under certain conditions.
- H.B. 2489 would provide desperately needed economic stimulus to areas most impacted by the emergency order through responsible resumption of motorsports.
- H.B. 2489 expresses support for local automotive markets and would require all races to be safely conducted in accordance with federal CDC guidelines.
- H.B. 2489 recognizes racing facilities provides a legal alternative to street racing.
- H.B. 2489 honors the state’s rich tradition of racing dating back generations.
Overview: SAN-supported legislation (H.B. 2489) has been introduced in Pennsylvania that would allow outdoor recreational activities, including professional and amateur motor sports, to resume immediately under certain conditions. Currently, the Governor's emergency Business Closure Order does not allow any recreational activity undertaken or viewed outdoors for entertainment, competition, education or pleasure. The bill requires such activities to adhere to the social distancing practices and other mitigation measures defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The bill passed the House Committee on State Government and awaits consideration by the full House.
Dear SEMA Action Network (SAN): Recent world events have impacted us all. Rest assured, the SAN will continue to be the voice of auto enthusiasts in state capitols and Washington, DC. With your help, we’ve already achieved several triumphs this year—thank you! Meantime, SEMA is working to safeguard our hobby so we can continue to pursue our passion. For updates, news and resources, please visit SEMA.org/coronavirus. Ignited We Stand!