URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT
Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Bill Reintroduced in New Jersey
A version of SEMA model legislation (A.B. 148) that would create a vehicle registration classification for street rods and replica custom vehicles and provide for special license plates for these vehicles was reintroduced in the New Jersey Assembly for 2014. A.B. 148 defines a street rod as an altered vehicle manufactured before 1948 and a custom as an altered vehicle at least 25 years old and manufactured after 1948. The bill allows kit cars and replica vehicles to be assigned a certificate of title bearing the same model year designation the body of the vehicle most closely resembles.
We Urge You to Contact All Members of the Assembly Transportation and Independent Authorities Committee (List Attached Below) Immediately to Request Their Support for A.B. 148
- A.B. 148 provides specific registration/titling classes and license plates for street rods and customs.
- A.B. 148 only holds street rods and customs to the equipment standards specified by law during the model year listed on the title of the vehicle.
- A.B. 148 provides that a replica vehicle will be assigned the same model year designation as the production vehicle it most closely resembles.
- A.B. 148 permits street rods and custom vehicles to display blue dot taillights.
- A.B. 148 provides that vehicles titled and registered as street rods and custom vehicles may be used for occasional transportation, exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, etc. and not for general daily transportation.
DON’T DELAY! Please contact the members of the Assembly Transportation and Independent Authorities Committee to request their support for A.B. 148.
Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.
New Jersey Assembly Transportation and Independent Authorities Committee
To e-mail all Committee members, copy and paste the email address block below:
AsmWisniewski@njleg.org; AswStender@njleg.org; AswCaride@njleg.org; AsmClifton@njleg.org; AswDeCroce@njleg.org; Asmgarcia@njleg.org; AsmGiblin@njleg.org; AsmKean@njleg.org; AsmMainor@njleg.org; AsmMoriarty@njleg.org; AswOliver@njleg.org; AsmRumana@njleg.org