Legislation (A.B. 2) to provide that classic vehicles and classic rods would be exempted from emissions inspections if owners pay a one-time $6 fee and submit a certification that their vehicle will not be driven more than 5,000 miles per year was passed by the Nevada Assembly. Currently, classic rods and classic vehicles are subject to a 2,500 mile per year limit to qualify for an emissions exemption and must pass an initial two-speed idle emissions inspection to qualify. Also, each year the owners of classic rods and classic vehicles must fill out a certification that their vehicles have not been driven more than 2,500 miles during the previous year and the certification must be verified by a DMV emissions technician. Under A.B. 2, the initial emissions inspection would no longer be required.
We Urge You to Contact Members of the Nevada Senate Transportation Committee Immediately to Request Their Support for A.B. 2.
For those interested in attending the hearing to voice support, the committee will meet on Thurs., Apr. 28 at the following address and time:
Legislative Building, Room 2135
401 S. Carson St.
Carson City, NV 89701
- Existing law only exempts 1967 and older MY vehicles from emissions inspection.
- A Classic Rod is defined as a vehicle with a manufacturer's rated carrying capacity of 1 ton or less and manufactured not earlier than 1949, but at least 20 years before application.
- A Classic Vehicle is defined as a vehicle with a manufacturer's rated carrying capacity of 1 ton or less that was manufactured at least 25 years before the application is submitted to the department and contains only the original parts which were used to manufacture the vehicle or replacement parts that duplicate those original parts.
- A.B. 2 acknowledges the relatively minimal environmental impact of older vehicles, such as the classic rods and vehicles targeted for this exemption.
- A.B. 2 recognizes that such vehicles constitute a small portion of the vehicle fleet and are well-maintained and infrequently operated.
DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the Nevada Senate Transportation Committee immediately by phone or e-mail to request their support for A.B. 2.
Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.
Nevada Senate Transportation Committee
Senator Shirley A. Breeden - Chair
Senator Michael A. Schneider - Vice Chair
Senator John J. Lee
Senator Mark A. Manendo
Senator Dean A. Rhoads
Senator Mike McGinness
Senator Elizabeth Halseth