URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT
Iowa Introduces Bill to Create Custom Vehicle Classification
A version of SEMA model legislation (H.B. 230) to add a vehicle registration classification for custom vehicles was introduced. H.B. 230 defines "custom vehicle" as a vehicle with a model year that is at least 25 years old and that was manufactured after 1948, or any vehicle designed and manufactured to resemble a vehicle with a model year that is at least 25 years old and that was manufactured after 1948. In 2008, Iowa enacted into law SEMA model legislation to create classifications for street rods and replicas.
Please Contact Members of the Iowa House Transportation Committee (Contact Info Below) to Request Support for H.B. 230
- H.B. 230 creates a specific registration class for custom vehicles and provides that the model year of a custom vehicle would be the same as the model year of the motor vehicle that it is designed to resemble.
- H.B. 230 provides that the registration fee for custom vehicles is determined the same way as the registration fee for street rods.
- H.B. 230 provides that street rods and custom vehicles are exempt from periodic vehicle inspections and emissions requirements.
- H.B. 230 provides that custom vehicles may use blue dot tail lights.
- H.B. 230 provides that a custom vehicle will be maintained for occasional transportation or exhibition in club activities, parades, tours, or other similar uses, but will not be operated for general, everyday transportation.
- H.B. 230 requires proof that the custom vehicle passed a safety inspection approved by the department of transportation.
DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the Iowa House Transportation Committee by phone or e-mail to request their support for H.B. 230.
Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.
Iowa House Transportation Committee
To e-mail all Committee members, copy and paste the email address block below:
email@example.com; Brian.Best@legis.iowa.gov; firstname.lastname@example.org; Gary.Carlson@legis.iowa.gov; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; Abby.Finkenauer@legis.iowa.gov; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; Norlin.Mommsen@legis.iowa.gov; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com