Legislation (H.B. 204) to exempt reconstructed vehicles that are more than 25-years old from emissions testing was passed by the Delaware House and will be considered by the Senate Public Safety Committee on Wednesday, January 22, 2014. The bill passed in the Delaware House last year by a 41-0 vote. Under the bill, the vehicle must continue to meet and be inspected for safety and anti-tampering requirements for its model year.
We Urge You to Contact All Members of the Senate Public Safety Committee (Contact Info Below) Immediately To Request Their Support for H.B. 204
- In Delaware, "Reconstructed vehicle" means a vehicle which has been assembled or constructed largely by means of essential parts, new or used, derived from other vehicles or makes of vehicles of various names, models and types, or which, if originally otherwise constructed, has been materially altered by the removal of essential parts or by the addition or substitution of essential parts, new or used, derived from other vehicles or makes of vehicles.
- Vehicles exempt from emissions testing can only be used for participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar uses, but not for general transportation or more than 1,000 miles per year.
- H.B. 204 recognizes the minimal impact of reconstructed hobby vehicles on emissions and air quality.
- H.B. 204 acknowledges that reconstructed vehicles constitute a minuscule portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.
- H.B. 204 endorses the fact that reconstructed vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven.
DON’T DELAY! Please contact members of the Delaware Senate Public Safety Committee immediately to request their support of H.B. 204.
Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.
Delaware Senate Public Safety Committee
To e-mail all Committee members, copy and paste the email address block below: